On Saturday morning I will be toeing the line at Jackalope Jam. This race is a timed race in which the participants run a .5 mile out & back course for as many miles as they can. There are 5 different timed races; 72 hour, 48 hour, 24 hour, 12 hour, 6 hour. I am participating in the 24 hour race, and I've made some goals for Jackalope Jam.
A little backstory.... My thought process behind entering this race was to see how I could hold up with being on my feet for 24 hours and also to conquer my fear of the dark in a safe environment. Afterwards, if I felt confident in my abilities, I would sign up for Possum's Revenge 69 mile race. Update: I signed up for Possum's Revenge 69 miler after seeing the mock-up for the buckle... I NEED that buckle in my life!
Goals for Jackalope Jam
- Start out slow and steady. It might be tough starting out at the same time with the people that are doing the 6 and 12 hour events, but I need to remember to race my race. My plan is to run 3 loops, walk 1. I know that incorporating walking and going slow in the beginning will help me go longer.
- Mileage goals: A. 75 miles, B. 70 miles, C. 63 miles
- Push through the mentally dark moments and move past them.
- Embrace the darkness (with a headlamp, of course).
- Be sure to take in calories and hydration, use walking loop as a reminder.
- Last and the most important of them all... HAVE FUN and SMILE!
Have you ever ran a timed event? Would you sign up for a race just because of the bling?