Skip to main content

Life of leisure

I had 5 solid days off work... and it was blissful! I enjoyed being able to get my runs in during the morning hours before the heat of the day crept up. It sure made a difference! I am not a morning person, but these am runs made me remember why I suffered getting up at the *ss crack of dawn for so many years to run.

My birthday was Friday, so I made sure to schedule a run that morning (you should do things that make you happy on your special day).  It was speed work and Sorcha, one of my 4 footed running partners explored a new trail that had recently reopened.  It was AWESOME.  I ended up missing my Saturday run recovering from too much celebrations the night before, but I was ok with that.

My LSD run was on Sunday and it was so nice getting that knocked out while it was still cool, instead of when it was just beginning to cool off from 90+.

Yesterday, Sorcha and I went back on the new trail, it is a nice nature trail deep in the forested area of the woodlands, then runs along a golf course.  The run was an easy 4 mile with strides, so we took it slow and enjoyed it.  Even paused to checkout the golf course lake.





We are expected a couple of cool fronts to roll through Houston at the end of this week, which may make the evening running not as brutal.  I think I will be trying to figure out how to flex a little of my work time here and there to be able to run in the morning as much as I can.

Does anyone else run with their dog?

How do you feel about running in the morning versus evening?


Popular posts from this blog

2017 Chicago Marathon Recap

Last weekend I ran my second marathon... the Chicago Marathon. This is my 2017 Chicago Marathon Recap!

The week prior, the hubs decided he didn't want to go to Chicago... citing some pretty lame excuses.  I wasn't too worried about that as I am not afraid to travel on my own.

I flew into Chicago on Friday morning.  The plane from Houston seemed to be full of folks running in the marathon.  I sat by a young couple who were also running (his 1st marathon, her 7th).  After landing up in Chicago, I took the Orange Line into the city and checked into my hotel, then headed back out for some lunch and then to take in the Expo.
The Expo

The Expo was CRAZY! I retrieved my bib, shirt and wandered around for a bit.  I tried shopping in the Nike area, but after I was shoved a couple of times, I lost all interest.  With all the craziness, I decided I needed to find the Goose Island beer bus for a little sample.

I checked out several booths and then headed to the Runners World stage for the cour…

Brazos Bend 50k Recap

On April 7th, I ran my very first 50k at Brazos Bend 50.  The event was a Trail Racing Over Texas race located at Brazos Bend State Park outside of Needville, TX.  This is my Brazos Bend 50k recap.
I had gone into Houston after work to pick up my race packet ahead of time... along with my bib and race shirt, they also had bonus swag, for this race it was Altra Gaiters.  Race day-eve brought me a little visitor.... yup, Aunt Flo decided to come for a stay. This definitely put a little twist in my plans.  I took off work a little early so that I could get dinner at a reasonable hour, my clothes laid out, and to bed early.  My race-day eve fueling was my lucky veggie burger and sweet potato fries at Bella Green.

After some thought I decided to wear my hydration vest to carry necessary supplies instead of my handheld.  Once I got home, I laid out my clothes, got my supplies ready and headed to bed.  My wake-up call was 3am!

It was tough figuring out what to wear.  The forecast cal…

2018 Houston Marathon Recap

Last weekend I ran my third marathon... the Houston Marathon. This is my 2018 Houston Marathon Recap!

I ran the Houston Marathon last year, it was my very first marathon.  It was such a fun time, I signed up again as soon as early bird entry opened up.
ABB 5k
I chose to run the ABB 5k on the day before the marathon.  I figured since I had to be in Houston to pick up my packet, I might as well use it for my shakeout run.  The temps were mighty chilly that morning.  I bundled up and headed in early to pick up my packet.  After I dropped my bag (and jacket) off at the bag drop, I was very happy to see the convention center was open to wait in.

15 minutes prior to race start, I headed out to use the port-a-cans and line up.  I chose to line up with the 11 minute mile group in an attempt to keep my pace super easy.  They sang the Star Spangled Banner and we were off right on time!

I had to do a bit of bobbing and weaving as there were several walkers who lined up ahead of me.  Within a half mil…